August 10, 2012

Mountains with the Lindseys

It's rare, I think, to find a friend in your thirties who you feel like you've known for decades.  But if anything can do it, it's living through the intensity of a life-changing experience and sharing it with someone who knows what you've been through.  

Sarah was the first CDH mom that I "met" after we got Clara's diagnosis almost two years ago.   She's married to the cousin of some of our friends from church, so it wasn't a totally random meet-up; it was a real friend-of-a-friend situation.  We emailed some before Clara was born, and became Facebook friends.  But in the months after Clara's birth, I'm not sure anyone was following her progress any more closely or praying any harder or rooting any more for Clara, and for all of us.  After we came home from the hospital and I began dealing with some of the emotions and the processing the experience, she was there for me - day after day after day.  Making me laugh when I needed to laugh and assuring me that life would someday feel normal.  You see, her first daughter, Madeline, was born six years ago with an undiagnosed diaphragmatic hernia and they have walked this journey and come out the other side.  So, unlike anyone else in my life... she really knew.  

In months and months and months that followed, a friendship that I would never have expected or dreamed of was forged.  We don't live in the same state and we've only ever even seen each other face to face a handful of times.  But I am deeply deeply grateful for her presence in my life and for all that she has taught me about parenting, about survival, and about love.  Our friendship has developed through hours of talking and has been not at all unlike the long-distance relationship that Robert and I began nine years ago.  Our friendship now is less about CDH (although it's still nice to  know that she "gets" that part of our story) and more about honesty, loyalty, laughter and love.  Not only do I love Sarah to pieces, but her family has become like extended family of our own.  We treasure each of them and were so thankful to have a chance to spend four days together in the mountains last weekend...

Days that began with custom-made pancakes for breakfast (by Chef Robert).   



a sampling of the pancake designs that graced our table.

Walks to the backyard wilderness...


Where we played on the tire swing Robert has hung....






 



And playing in the creek...


 












 And hiking...



  



 




I'm sorry we didn't catch any bears, Michael.  No need to cry.  Maybe next time....

 

And time splashing in the pool...








This is me trying to teach Clara to blow bubbles.  We have some work to do.....


And most of all, just enjoyed being together...


Here are the two CDH survivors.  Clara Mae (16 months) and Madeline Claire (6 years old).  This melts my heart:


And just for bonus, a few shots of Clara in one of my favorite settings.









Thanks for all the memories and laughter, Lindseys.  We're so thankful for you all.  I would never have asked for the experience of CDH, but you are truly one of the greatest silver linings of it all.  We love you.  Let's do it again soon.



1 comment:

  1. Friendship ... what a joy and a God given blessing! May you share it for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...