June 15, 2013

Farm Girls

As Clara transitioned to solid foods one of the first things she ate with any real consistency was eggs.  Still to this day, it's one of the foods that she will almost always eat.... especially if they are "Katy's eggies."  Once you go to farm fresh, it's awfully hard to go back to grocery store eggs.  My sweet friend Katy has been kind enough to keep our fridge stocked with eggs from her chickens.  Clara had been asking to go meet the chickens herself, so once the weather got warm this spring we picked a day to trek out to Davie County with the Martins and spend some time on the farm.  Ruth and Sierra (Katy's daughters) were the most excellent tour guides as these city girls got a taste of country life.  We couldn't have had better weather or company and enjoyed the morning so very much.

Loaded up and ready for their tour...


First we met the bunny...




Then the neighbor was out for a morning walk on her horse...


 We took a quick break from the animals to swing and enjoy the trampoline.  All the girls thought that was quite fun!






Then they got to sit on the donkey...




And brush him too...

Check out the cool tractor...




And just enjoy such a gorgeous backdrop...



Then with egg baskets in hand, they got to see the main event: the chickens.









Despite all the hype and expectation, Clara was terrified of the chickens.  She still talks about them and how they "scratched her" (which they did not).  I guess they are a little scary, when you think about it, with their squawking and flapping!  But we had so much fun collecting the eggs and now when Clara eats hers (almost) every morning, she says with great pride, "These eggies are from Katy's chickens!"  I think she thinks she's still eating the same eggs she collected that day!

Thanks so much for having us, Katy.  We are thankful for your friendship and for your loving generosity.  Nothing quite like coming home to find that you've dropped a new batch of eggs off in our fridge!  It was a fun morning and an awesome experience... for all of us!  Now, who has a cow that Clara can milk?  That's what's she wants next....


2 comments:

  1. Did you find the answer to that age old question ... Which came first the chicken or the egg??????? Glad you had a fun day down on the farm! As always, Clara is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy....
    Oh, I love farms!! Especially their animals!! I do not know why, since I've always been a "city girl", but.... ;)
    That bunny reminds me of our former neighbor Tim's rabbit, Pearl!! My sister and I took care of her once!! ;-D
    Our cousin owns a horse!! Her name is Callie!! I rode Callie once!! To be honest, I was terrified!! ;)
    I love, love, love swings!! They were my very favorite playground structure!! And still are!! ;-D
    I love donkeys!! But I have never ridden one before!! Clara looks nervous on that donkey to me!! ;)
    "Despite all the hype and expectation, Clara was terrified of the chickens.". I thought that her facial expression looked unsettled in your last picture!! Poor girl.... :-(
    I have never gathered chicken eggs. However. I have milked a cow!! I think!! My Mom forgot to snap a picture!! ;-D
    --Raelyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...